Monday, March 20, 2006

Reasons why being a mom DOESN'T suck


So, my kid was very good to me this weekend-except for the constant talking thing. That sometimes gets old. But he was definitely in fine form in the entertainment department.

Here are some highlights of the things I actually caught inbetween the nonstop chatter:

-As we are sitting on the best chair ever, he crawls up into my lap, looks at me, and says "You're cute mom". Ahh, flattery will get you everywhere my boy.
-He is ASKING to do chores. He's just a helpful kinda guy. Sometimes.
-As we are cleaning my room (and he is the perfect size to climb under the bed. You just have to make sure you can still see a leg to get him outta there in case something starts to bite. That didn't happen. But it could have.) he says, "You are beautiful. See, I'm like a man. A man calls a girl beautiful. And since I am like a man, you have to call me handsome."
-And all the random, out of nowhere cheek kisses (after he checks to be sure no one is looking) and I love you's. Ya can't knock all the I love you's.
-He tells the Aunt "my mom needs to hurry up and marry Doodle so I can have a step-dad.". The kid really needs to make up his mind.


THINGS we did that make having a kid not suck:

-Went and saw Curious George (hehe, George). I kinda wanted to see it anyways but now I had an excuse (the kid). Aside-it was very cute. And all the Jack Johnson songs really made me want to dance through the theater. I refrained (barely).
-Had ice cream when we were done.
-Gave him a piggy back ride and just pretty much goofed around all the way to the car. The smile on that kids face made all the ridiculousness of my life not seem so bad.
-Went to the Fun Forest and watched some Irish dancing. Also watched this kid sucker a vendor into going outside and playing Gaelic football with him. If adult men had an ounce of the charm this kid has, no woman would be safe again.
-Went on some rides at the Fun Forest (and lived to tell about it even...). I haven't been on rides since I was around 12 years old. There is just no way to not laugh hysterically as you are going around in circles way too fast to Shakira songs. And the kid kept trying to scoot himself over regardless of how impossible that task was. And the Pirate Ship? My god, I think I am too old for that (but it was still fun). Do you know how high that thing goes? Looking straight down at some pavement just doesn't have the thrill it used to. And the kid sitting next to me again laughing hysterically alternating between saying "I'm scared" and "This is fun! Let's do it again!". But out of all the rides, the one that freaked me out the most was the ferris wheel. I just don't like when things like that make creaking noises.

So really, this weekend was great. And this mom thing ain't so bad either. I got to look through my son's eyes. I got to be a kid again. See how the sunshine makes things a little better. And how a piggy back ride can encite instant giggles. How cool the Irish dancing thing is. And to not worry about anything more serious than what is the next ride we are going to go on. Whether it is his challenges with school, whether work is not my favorite place to be or we are a little short on money, I have a little someone who will always love me exactly as I am. And he will always remember all the fun we had together. That I could give him that is more important than anything else I will ever do.

1 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger K said...

Um, I know I always say that I'd step on any little kid that came my way but yours was kinda cute on Saturday.

And let's face it, if he told me I was cute, I'd probably giggle and buy him an ice cream cone too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home