Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Superhero vs. Barbie

For some reason, my kid woke up yesterday convinced it was his birthday. He has learned the days of the week, they do calendar daily at school so he knows that the yesterday was the 9th, today is the 10th etc. So he woke up yesterday beyond excited.

Yesterday was the 9th! That meant it was his birthday! His birthday is on the 9th...of August.

Poor auntie/momma had to explain to him that yes, it was the 9th but it wasn't his birthday. His birthday was the 9th of August and it is only the 9th of May. They even had to go to the calendar. He is a visual kid. They drew a blue birthday cake with 6 candles-how could you tell that it was a birthday cake unless there was candles?-and wrote his name below it so everyone knew.

Apparently he continued on his plight to convince the world it was his birthday at school and had to go through the same dilema.

When it was time for dinner, we decided to have a picnic on the porch. The kid is crazy. He talked to me a little more about his birthday and then he tells the auntie/momma that he knows how to make his mommy laugh. He can make her laugh all the time. He says watch-then makes this face:

And I laugh.

He does some crazy dances, it gets cold and we go back inside. Then we revisit the birthday topic. I asked him how he felt about camping. In all seriousness, he tells me we can't go camping-there are bears at camping. I tell him not where we go camping. You know, the place where there is showers, toilets and lots of running water? That is my idea of camping.

While we talk some more about his birthday, we tell him we could even get those super soakers and we could squirt each other. He tells me he wants a superhero party, and his super soaker needs to have Superheroes on it. Mine gets to be Barbie.

Okay, can we visit this here? When did my child get so boy/girl identified that he gets to have the fun superheroes and I get Barbie. BARBIE?????? I don't want to be Barbie! I want to be able to kick ass, not pose well in heels. Okay, the hair playing is fun but I will not wear the heels. I asked if I could be Superwoman or something. He tells me nope, it has to be Barbie. Then he gets all pushy and demanding telling me it is his birthday and he can have whatever he wants. I tell him that I am paying for his birthday so he doesn't get to be pushy. People who are pushy-they get nothing.

I tell this to Doodle. He says, "But you are pushy and just like that when it comes to your birthday". I have no comment.

1 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Kelly Bean said...

Aah...but you CAN be pushy when it gets to your birthday. You're the mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home