Monday, July 24, 2006

Back up Ladies...



This is my man. Uh-huh. I know you want him in all his goofball glory.

But really, I had an amazing birthday for the first time in awhile in part because of this man. I just can't get over how different this relationship is from any other.

My past birthdays (when I had boyfriends) included one guy telling me how beautiful I was. Nice, huh? Oh wait, that was the boy who had just broken up with one of my best friends. He had been hitting on me then entire time they were together. We finally got together shortly after said birthday, dated for two months, I trusted him too much, and had my first taste of how trashy men can be.

Then you have the baby daddy. It was tradition for me to go to Oregon. It had been that way pretty much since I turned 18. He was invited to go but chose not to because he "had" to work. Cause you know, two days off is just not acceptable. When I got back, he got enough shit from the roomates and neighbors that he had a "party" for me. That would mean I got some dead roses (they started that way), 2 mylar balloons and I think my gift was a necklace. I know I am sounding ungrateful but the only reason he even did this was because he got yelled at by the female neighbor. He was pissed off at me so he wasn't going to do anything. Thus was a guilt party, not done out of any sense of caring. If he had even tried, it wouldn't be such an issue to me.

And finally in the bad chain of birthdays you have last year. With the nutjob. He liked to talk about what he was going to do but never any follow through. I got flowers for my birthday and $100. Sure, cash is great but for someone you had been dating for over a year, you would think he would know me well enough to atleast pick something out. The cash didn't even come in a card. And I got one day of him cleaning up after himself and not yelling at me to do it. One day of him cooking dinner instead of me. And one day of him not being an ass or lovingly (not) referring to me as a bitch. Things returned to normal the next morning.

Now for this year. I spent an entire weekend being happy. Happy with him around and even with him not there. He got everything I wanted and barbequed for a whole lotta people. My friends and family (the ones that I like anyways) all showed up. We chatted and it was just a nice easy time. No stress, no freakouts, just plain no drama. Everyone seemed to have a good time. My son came home and all the kids were having a good time. My kid gave me cheek, told me I was the best-twice-and at of nowhere told me he loved me. I usually try to celebrate my birthday without my kid but this year, it wasn't really necessary. I was surrounded by people who love me. And you can't help but feel good with the backyard is full and you know they are they because of you. Even the ones that want to step on kids and are afraid of dudes (Hi!) ventured to my ghetto. Just because I asked them to.

The rest of the weekend was the same. Even though it was hot as all getout and there was a whole lotta stink happening, I felt okay. My Doodle loves me, my family loves me, my friends love me. It's nice considering last year, I wasn't sure that I would ever be in this position. Even though I was with some one, I was still alone. And now, since Doodle, I always feel like there is someone there. It is different when it isn't family. But I guess now he kinda is...

Oh, and the suspense is killing me. He apparently wasn't done and has another present for me (which he has to get. With all my demands, he didn't have time.). He is bringing it over today. He said that whatever this is, I can't compare it to anything else. I can't try to match it with gift giving. I have absolutely no idea what he is getting and I can't wait for the end of today...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home