Monday, August 07, 2006

Progress

This weekend I spent a lot of time with Doodle, his boys, and the kid. We spent 5 hours at the zoo on Saturday and a couple of hours shopping at Costco on Sunday.

The zoo was great. Lots of animals-including the boys. We brought our lunch and first thing sat down to eat. Doodle had packed some chicken, salad fixings, and fruit since he knows and supports my attempts at ass shrinkage. We walked around for awhile but still didn't see everything. There was however lots of "I want to see this! Lets go here! But I didn't do it!" and just about every other phrase that I irritated my mother with as a child. There was a point when I was about to hunt down a zoo keeper for a tranquilizer. For me. The insanity of 3 (4 if you count Doodle) boys was a lot to deal with. I am still not quite used to being surrounded by boys as my family is predominately female. We decided it was time to pack it up as the complaints started to get louder "I'm thiiiiirsty. My legs hurt. My feet hurt..."

When we got back to Doodle's house, he cleaned out the pool and set the boys up so they could attack each other with water guns. I knew I had missed him last week (he had the boys all week so I only saw him on Monday) but didn't realize how much until I saw him again. We all sat down, had dinner and the boys were watching a movie. I was standing in the kitchen cuddling him. He looks down and me and says "I could get used to this". He has said that before but he had a different look in his eyes this time. Then he says, "I could even see the possibility of m-m-marriage".

This is a first. He has made it no secret from the beginning that he was very hurt by his first marriage and had no intent to try again. I knowingly stayed with him since I had no idea our relationship would turn into this. He is completely opposite of my "dream" guy-or so I thought. I imagined I would be with this extremely intelligent lawyer type guy. Someone who worked a lot and would provide for me everything I demanded (and I would demand it). Someone who went to work in business suits. And definitely someone who was not a hairy man.

Doodle is not that at all. He is intelligent, but in different ways. He is smart in saving his money, preparing outings, and making the most of his time with his kids. He is smart in the little things, like knowing which salad dressing I like and how my coffee should be made in the morning. He is throwing a suprise party for my son. He is completely not the lawyer type. He works on arcade games. He moves pool tables. His choice of clothing is shorts, a wife beater, a t-shirt and tennis shoes. And he will be the first to call himself gorilla man.

As it turns out, I am happier with him than I thought possible. All those sappy things you hear about, that's me. I am one of those obnoxiously in love people. I am okay with it.

And apparently his boys are not as bothered by it as we thought they would be either. Like I said, I missed him so the affection was running amuck. I had told Doodle earlier that I would try to keep the kisses to a minimum around the boys. He asked me why and said he didn't think that it was a bad thing for them to see two people who love each other being affectionate. As we were walking through Costco, the boys--his boys--could be heard saying "Okay, then we could have a little brother. And two moms. And two dads. That wouldn't be bad..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home