Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A mommy moment


Monday was Labor Day. Me and the Auntie decided to take a day trip to Fort Warden in Port Orchard. We didn't tell the kid where we were going or what we were doing. We kept it a surprise.

As we get to Seattle and pull into the ferry docks, the kid starts freaking out. He can't contain himself. He is so excited. And happy. You could see the pleasure on his face.

We get out of the Jeep and go to look at the water as we wait. The kid starts looking for fish. A couple beside us point them out and discuss how they are called a school when they swim. The kid is fascinated by all these new things. Sure, he's seen fish-he even has a couple-but they weren't on the dock with the ferry boat.

Finally, it is time for us to board the boat. He can't wait, he has never been on a ferryboat (that he remembers). When we get to the top, he gets scared and we have to coax him outside. Once he gets adjusted, he really enjoys it. He likes looking out at the water, seeing the ferry "fart", and watching the people. We get off the ferry and start our drive. For once, the kid doesn't complain that it is too far (that comes later).

We get to the fort, go have lunch by the water, go play over by the lighthouse. The kid steps up on the rocks and looks out at the ocean. He giggles when the water crashes close by him. He wants to get closer but we won't let him.

As I am watching all this, I think about how genuinely happy I am. How this child has made my life amazing. In all of my growing up plans, I never realized that having a child-having this child-would change me so much. I can see things through his eyes. I get a little excited when I see the ferry boat too. I am so very lucky.

The feeling of being a parent can't even be described. And the fact that this child is learning from me, he is experiencing what I did while I was growing, and he is giving me such amazing joy. I am finally beginning to see life as it should be. It's not just all about the drama of how I got to this point, but how I choose to make the best use of my time and make memories with my son. I know that he will remember that day. And so will I.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Kelly Bean said...

Small admission---sometimes I am envious of you, because you have a child. I realize that I will get there when it's right for me; but...I am still a bit envious of you. :) I'm happy that you enjoy it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home